Search This Blog

Thursday, December 30, 2021

Cindy Prascik's Holiday Wrap-up Part I: The Matrix Resurrections & The Power of the Dog

 


My dear reader(s), following another lengthy absence, I've managed to squeeze a few movie screenings into my holiday break. Here in part one, I shall tackle a couple non-seasonal films: The Matrix Resurrections and The Power of the Dog. In part two, we'll have a peek at some Christmas offerings.

Spoiler level will be mild, nothing you won't have learned from trailers and advertisements.

First on my agenda: The Matrix Resurrections. 

New and familiar faces fight for reality...but what is the real reality?

It's fair to say science fiction and I are taking a break. We definitely don't love each other like we used to, and I'm not sure we ever will again. I elected to give the Matrix Resurrections a try anyway, based on: a.) my love of Keanu Reeves, and b.) being able to watch without leaving the house. If it's not as bad as I thought it was, I'm pretty sure it's not good, either.

Keanu has made a career of locking into roles ideally suited to his acting style. That's a backhanded compliment, but know I offer it with great affection. Carrie-Anne Moss is an inspiration, an action hero a mere year younger than I am. (Note: That's "old" in most people's books!) Despite my aversion to anything with the stink of Glee on it, Jonathan Groff is a pleasant surprise. Always. In everything. Effects are about 50/50, decent and comically bad. Callbacks to previous installments might be entertaining if this one didn't insist on pointing out each one so explicitly. Action is repetitive and gets old quickly, and — at nearly two and a half hours — the picture is extremely bloated. Anymore I'm never sure if social and political undertones are really present, or if I just see them everywhere because I so desperately want to avoid them for a hot minute, but I found them here...and I was well and truly bored before the halfway point.

The Matrix Resurrections clocks in at a whopping 148 minutes, and is rated R for "violence and some language."

If you're deeply invested in the Matrix series, you'll probably love the Matrix Resurrections; otherwise, you can give it a pass and rest assured you won't miss it. Of a possible nine Weasleys, the Matrix Resurrections gets three.

The Matrix Resurrections is currently playing in cinemas worldwide, and streaming on HBO Max through January 21.

Fangirl points: Freema Agyeman!

Next on the docket: The Power of the Dog.

Exploring the contentious relationships among a contrary cowboy, his more agreeable brother, and the brother's wife and son.

The Power of the Dog is a deliberately-paced western that's in no real hurry to get anywhere. Benedict Cumberbatch carries the film with a mighty turn that may well win him his first Academy Award. Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons, and Kodi Smit-McPhee are all terrific in support. Dusty western settings and a gloomy score reinforce the movie's uneasy atmosphere. The film tells an interesting enough tale, but I can't say it's one I'm glad I watched. Oh, and if you're an animal lover, maybe take a pass. Too many ugly moments to get past in that regard.

The Power of the Dog runs 126 minutes and is rated R for "brief sexual content and full nudity."

The Power of the Dog is a miserable little film, but worth checking out for some exceptional performances. Of a possible nine Weasleys, the Power of the Dog gets five.

The Power of the Dog is now streaming on Netflix.

Fangirl points: Keith Carradine!

Stay tuned for some cinematic Christmas cheer!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...