Search This Blog

Saturday, May 4, 2013

MOVIE REVIEW: IRON MAN 3



Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) wrestles with inner demons while contending with monsters of his own creation in this sequel from writer\director Shane Black. The story in Iron Man 3 picks up shortly after the events of The Avengers. Having previously entered another dimension in order to save New York City, Tony remains deeply haunted by the experience. Tony has only started to appreciate the gravity of his problems when an enigmatic terrorist named the Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) hijacks the airwaves and threatens to bring America to its knees with a painful series of "lessons". ~ Rovi

Director: Shane Black

Cast: Robert Downey, Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce, Rebecca Hall

Release Date: May 03, 2013

Rated PG-13 for sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence throughout, and brief suggestive content

Runtime: 2 hr. 20 min.

Genres: Action/Adventure

Review:

Picking up after the Avengers was going to be a bit of a task, thankfully Iron Man 3 handles it fairly well lead by new director Shane Black. A slightly more focused, albeit kind of silly, plot than the overstuffed 2nd entry breathes life back into the franchise. Black and Robert Downey Jr. have a tangible chemistry together. Black is capable of keeping RDJ from going into cruise control and the script forces him to explore the effects of the events in The Avengers. It’s a solid logical choice, it would have been terribly easy to just breeze past it and keep him feeling invincible. There are still plenty of laughs and tons of massive summer movie level action set pieces that are thrillingly staged such as the attack on Starks home and a mid air multi-person rescue. That being said there are a few blemishes on the film. It’s not as overstuffed as Iron Man 2, which was too busy serving as a sequel to Iron Man and prequel to The Avengers, but it’s still too busy. The villains are a bit too cartoonish with Ben Kingsley going a bit too overboard (with good reason though). Sadly, Guy Pierce’s character never feels like a complete creation, simply functioning as a plot mechanism. Paltrow and Cheadle are given some extra bits of characterization but nothing earth shattering. As the film, wraps the film starts to feel like it’s tying things up in case RDJ decides to retire from the superhero business (this films marks the last film on his contract with Marvel). While a bit of streamlining and trimming would have made this more efficient summer film, it still manages to trill and excite so maybe it’s not time to throw this franchise on the scrap heap just yet.

B


16 comments:

  1. There definitely seems to be a big divide between "Good but not fantastic" and "Amazing, best Iron Man film yet". Looking forward to seeing it myself. Added your review to my post.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't call it the best Iron Man because I still think the first one is the best of the bunch, very strong though. Very curious to hear your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to see it tomorrow, blissfully 3D free. I loved the first Iron Man, but was not too enamored of Deux. I was looking forward to this because of Tony's reaction to Avengers. And all villains are cartoonish, really. Look at Bane, Loki, Lex Luthor, Red Skull...cartoons loud and proud. Great review, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun, works great as a summer movie just a tad overlong. Yeah all villians are cartoonish but these just overly so.

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed it - anything would have been better than Iron Man 2 but I am surprised by how much I loved it.

    There are flaws as you say but it had enough humour and action that I could look past them.

    I was wondering how you would feel about Ben Kingsley's role. It took me completely by surprise so I absolutely loved it.

    The ended was the weakest part for me as they lost their way trying to wrap up the trilogy but not fully committing to it.

    As good as I.M.3 was it has now been forgotten and I am looking forward to Thor and Captain America (far more interesting characters than Tony Stark!)

    K :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it actually, the lenght detracted a bit as some of the scenes just seem to kind of go on. I really did like Kingsley but not crazy about Pierce's character. Totally agree about the ending and I'm looking forward to Thor 2.

      Delete
  4. yeah, the villains were a bit cartoonish, but i liked that about the movie--it didn't ever take itself too seriously. also, i rather liked that they decided to give cheadle and paltrow more character. that was fascinating to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun and I did like that they kept it light even in the darker moments. RDJ is just so fun in this role, glad they gave Cheadle and Paltrow and Cheadle more to do but do wish the latter had an even bigger role.

      Delete
  5. After watching the film, I have to say I loved it. The one thing I disagree with you is the pacing, I actually thought it was never slow, although that has more to do with personal taste than anything.
    It was vastly different than the comics, however the Extremis storyline was adapted well onto the big screen much better than I had original thought.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious about the comic story line because I've heard it was more involved from friends. I've been told they dumbed it down a little.

      Delete
  6. P.S.
    *Spoilers*
    What did you think of the Mandarin twist? Even though I man a fan of his character from the comics, I respect the big risk Shane Black took with it. Also it was a hilarious scene.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally loved the twist, up till then I just thought Kingsley was hamming it up but it made perfect sense and he was hilarious. I have no personal connection to these characters so I wasn't bothered by it.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed the movie even though I had to get up a few times. I'm not very good at sitting still for so long LOL. Great review. :)

    ~~DJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You aren't the only Diana, a tad too long.

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed this film and the chemistry that RDJ had with that little kid. The Mandarin twist was great considering that the character itself really is a racist throwback that would not be good for today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That section with RDJ and the kid were golden. I really enjoyed the twist as well, thought it was well done and timed.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...