Search This Blog

Saturday, July 18, 2015

MOVIE REVIEW: ANTMAN








































The next evolution of the Marvel Cinematic Universe brings a founding member of The Avengers to the big screen for the first time with Marvel Studios’ “Ant-Man.” Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, master thief Scott Lang must embrace his inner hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym, protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.

Director: Peyton Reed 

Cast: Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly, Matt Gerald, Corey Stoll

Release Date: Jul 17, 2015 RealD 3D

Runtime: 1 hr. 55 min.

Genres: Action/Adventure, Family

Review:

I have no issue saying that I expect the worse when I heard Antman was announced to the docket of Marvel films being made.  First of all, the concept is one of those ridiculous conceits that probably play better on the page than in real life.  Secondly, there’s all the behind the scenes drama with Edgar Wright leaving the project and Peyton Reed coming and having to rewrite part of the script with Paul Rudd.  It just seemed ready made for a disaster, so was it?  No, it’s a fun movie that’s hilarious in parts and enjoyable throughout.  The sillier part of the concept is pulled off with impressive ease and Paul Rudd fits the role perfectly.   A solid supporting cast, anchored by a very engaged Michael Douglas, makes for an all around good time.  It’s the type of Marvel film you come to expect and it doesn’t throw any major curveballs.  There are a few Marvel universe bits thrown in and it’s not as shoehorned as they’ve been in other film.  Minor issues like Evangeline Lilly’s wig and Corey Stoll mustache twirling villainy, I still half expected his toupee from The Strain to pop up, are digestible.  Antman is a solid entry to the ever expanding universe and worth seeing for impressive action set pieces and a surprisingly sharp script, be sure to stick around for the two stingers at the end.

B  

8 comments:

  1. Nosiness got the better of me and I had to read your review now - I'll catch the film next week.

    It sounds a lot better than I expected it to be although I don't think I will ever get my head around the appeal of Paul Rudd.

    Good to see that the post credit scenes are worth it!

    K :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun enough film, nothing great but a good time. Post Credit scenes are worth it, especially the last one.

      Delete
    2. It was solid and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected! I've no issues with Ant-Man popping up in future films

      I think that the second post credit sequence was Marvel's best to date. Worth the wait.

      K :-)

      Delete
    3. Yeah I originally thought it was going to be a mess but it was a lot of fun in the end. Totally agree on that 2nd stinger, greatness...

      Delete
  2. Like you said, we are in complete agreement on this one. It was enjoyable, and worked better than I thought given the road to making it. Ant-Man as a character is a solid addition to the MCU.

    Good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All things considered it came out much better than expected. I had a good time with it.

      Delete
  3. Not a big fan of Marvel, and I totally don't like the Avengers, but this one was really fun. Entertained me from start to finish, thanks to excellent performances from Douglas and Rudd, lots of hilarious dialogue and some ace action scenes, especially the super-funny train scene. 8/10 from me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun all around, really accessible to everyone, even people who aren't big Marvel fans.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...