Search This Blog

Monday, February 18, 2013

MOVIE REVIEW: BEAST OF THE SOUTHERN WILD




A six-year-old girl from the southern Delta searches for her long-lost mother after her father falls ill and her world spins out of balance in the film from director Benh Zeitlin that took home the Grand Jury Prize and Best Cinematography award at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi

Director: Benh Zeitlin

Cast: Quvenzhané Wallis, Dwight Henry, Lowell Landes, Levy Easterly

Release Date: Jun 29, 2012

Rated PG-13 for child Imperilment, Brief Sensuality, Language, Some Disturbing Images and Thematic Material

Runtime: 1 hr. 33 min.

Genres: Drama

Review:

Benh Zeitlin’s first full length film is a magical experience that’s deceptively simple but incredibly dense. Zeitlin’s film is a visual marvel which captures the childlike wonder of innocence with a tangible authenticity which seeps through the screen. It’s the type of film which if instantly engaging and mesmerizing as well. Quvenzhané Wallis & Dwight Henry serve as the film’s core throughout. Zeitlin’s decision to cast non actors really adds to the feel of the film. Quvenzhané Wallis is just as impressive as I’d heard. She carries herself with a wonderful sense of strength and awareness of self throughout. It’s always tough to gauge with child actors if it’s a performance or just their innate personality seeping through, regardless she’s perfect in the lead role. I was just as impressed with Dwight Henry’s work especially since he’s truly a non actor, he owns a bakery. Together they work with a fascinating chemistry which is endearing and heartbreaking at the same time.

A

8 comments:

  1. I've heard so much about this film yet it hasn't appeared anywhere over here. It would have been good to see it before the Oscars but that isn't going to happen.

    I'm glad it (like Amour)lived up to the hype!

    K :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky it's out on video now here. I'll be getting in right under the time but with Argo, I will have seen everyone of the best picture nominees. Beast was incredibly enchanting, I think you'd really enjoy it K, it vaguely reminded me of Pan's Labyrinth to a certain extent.

      Delete
    2. The Pan's Labyrinth comparison is interesting!

      I will have to keep an eye out for it if anything just to satisfy my curiosity!

      Delete
    3. I'd be very curious to hear what you think.

      Delete
  2. Fully agree with everything you said in your review. A beautiful, highly impressive and completely unique movie. I've never seen anything quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another movie I'll add to queue :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...