Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Cindy Prascik's Review of The Christmas Chronicles 2

 

My dear reader(s), Netflix has declared the 2020 Holiday Season in full swing with its second new Christmas offering of the year: The Christmas Chronicles 2.

Spoiler level here will be mild, I suppose, but in truth the movie holds few surprises.

Christmas is in jeopardy, and it's up to Kate Pierce to help Santa save the day.

Well, my friends, I have to start by saying I remember very little about the first Christmas Chronicles. I felt a little better when IMDB told me it came out in 2018, because I feared I'd already forgotten it almost completely from just last Christmas. WHEW! Cheery holiday fare tends to make me happy, so I'm pretty sure I liked it, and the sequel holds true to form.

Objectively, I will note that Christmas Chronicles 2 is sometimes almost painfully predictable, right down to individual snippets of dialogue that I said in my head as they were voiced onscreen, though I was watching for the first time. The characters are barely more than cartoons, but they don't need to be for this benign bit of holiday merriment. Darby Camp and Julian Dennison are almost too annoying to bear at times, but Kurt Russell, Goldie Hawn, and Jahzir Bruno are charming enough to carry the movie through its weaker spots. Bright animation works seamlessly with live action, and sets, costumes, and score are all designed to turn up the Christmas Cheer to eleven. A probably unintentional bonus: The ending makes a nice little nod to Tombstone, one of the greatest movies of all time and my favorite project of Kurt Russell's long and storied career.

The Christmas Chronicles 2 runs 112 minutes and is rated PG for "mild action/violence and brief language."

There's nothing new or surprising about Christmas Chronicles 2, but if you're looking for some easily digestible holiday entertainment for the whole family, it'll be just the ticket. Of a possible nine Weasleys, the Christmas Chronicles 2 gets six.

The Christmas Chronicles 2 is now streaming on Netflix.

Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...