Search This Blog

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Cindy Prascik's Oscar Blog with Daniel's thoughts sprinkled in.....





Guys, guys, guyzzzzzzzzzzz...guess what?? I'm snowed in!! You know what that means? Instead of a third screening of Kingsman: The Secret Service (maybe paired with a sneaky peek at McFarlane, USA...admit it, you want to see it too), I'll be stuck at home and bored out of my skull! So, here, have another Oscar blog...because exactly what you needed right now is yet another person's opinion on other people's opinions.

I must admit up front that there are categories where I haven't had access to all of the films, but I can't let that stop me, because...snow day! And who believes Oscar voters actually watch all their screeners anyway? Also, let it be known that I've skipped categories where I haven't seen anything. (Lookin' at you, Short Form Documentary!)

Without further ado...

BEST PICTURE:

What will win: Birdman

What should win: The Imitation Game

What really should win: Calvary

It's no secret I'm appalled at how 2014's best movie was done wrong by awards season. Having said that, my motto for this category is "Anything but Boyhood!" I don't think The Theory of Everything or American Sniper legitimately belong on this list, either, but both are at least good pictures, whereas Boyhood is an unmitigated disaster. Also, for the last time this awards season: it's time to stop the genre snobbery. Guardians of the Galaxy and/or Captain America: The Winter Soldier should at least be nominated here.

DANIEL'S THOUGHTS - Oscars love splitting up Best Picture and Director unless there's a clear winner, Birdman will win meaning director will go to Linklater's Boyhood.

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE:

Who will win: Eddie Redmayne

Who should win: Michael Keaton

Who really should win: Brendan Gleeson

Go on, Academy, sit there being wrong in your wrongness!

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS - Think Michael Keaton is a shoe in.

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE:

Who will win: Julianne Moore

Who should win: Rosamund Pike

Who really should win: I'm actually okay with any of the ladies in this category. (Hold onto that, it might not happen again!)

DANIEL'S THOUGHTS - Since I haven't seen Julianne Moore's film I really have no idea except to go with the flow and say Moore has it locked up.

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:

Who will win: J.K. Simmons

Who should win: J.K. Simmons

Who really should win: Bradley Cooper

I'm sure it was never seriously considered, but Cooper's Rocket was smart, funny, brave, emotional, sincere...and a raccoon. Top that if you can!! I'm also a little bit afraid "Oscar winner" J.K. Simmons might be suddenly unavailable for that Law & Order reboot.

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS - J.K. is a shoe in and frankly I couldn't be happier since I think he's great but I think Cindy is right, Law & Order The Next Generation is probably out.

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:

Who will win: Patricia Arquette

Who should win: Emma Stone

Who really should win: Emma Stone

I'm good with my gal Emma on this one, though I do think Rene Russo (Nightcrawler) and Kelly Reilly (Calvary) should be among the nominees.

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS - Arquette is winning because she's getting Boyhood love.  I thought it was a great performance but not the best I've seen this year.  Stone would be a great option.


BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:

What will win: How to Train Your Dragon 2

What should win: Big Hero 6

What really should win: Big Hero 6

...but I'd be absolutely fine with The Boxtrolls, too. A travesty that The Lego Movie is not among the nominees.

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS -Sadly I saw none of the nominees which doesn't matter because The Lego Movie should been nominated and won.


CINEMATOGRAPHY:

What will win: The Grand Budapest Hotel

What should win: The Grand Budapest Hotel

What really should win: John Wick

...and how is Nightcrawler not on this list??

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS -The Grand Budapest Hotel is wonderful but Birdman was kind of magical as well either is fine with me.


COSTUME DESIGN:

What will win: Into the Woods

What should win: The Grand Budapest Hotel

What really should win: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

From the magnificent detail of Thorin's armor to the snugglieness of Bilbo's bathrobe, nobody matches Middle Earth on this one.

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS -  I actually think The Grand Budapest Hotel has an excellent shot, well deserved too.

DIRECTING:

Who will win: Richard Linklater

Who should win: Wes Anderson

Who really should win: James Gunn

Listen, I'm not casting aspersions on anyone's talent, but if I randomly filmed some strange family for 12 years, I'd be in jail.



 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS - Linklater is getting this for his impressive experiment, it's hard to ignore what he pulled off and I've loved his "Before" films


FILM EDITING:


What will win: Boyhood

What should win: The Grand Budapest Hotel

What really should win: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I could also be Team Nightcrawler here.

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS - Birdman really impressed me on so many levels.


MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING:

What will win: The Grand Budapest Hotel

What should win: Guardians of the Galaxy

What really should win: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Middle Earth is unparalleled in the artistic categories.

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS - More than happy if Budapest wins....


MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE):

What will win: The Grand Budapest Hotel

What should win: Interstellar

What really should win: 300: Rise of an Empire

...and I'd also be good with Henry Jackman's Winter Soldier score here.

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG):

What will win: Glory

What should win: Everything is Awesome

What really should win: Everything is Awesome

The Academy just has to throw The Lego Movie a bone here.

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS - In total agreement, everything is awesome should win just so we can say Oscar Winner Andy Samburg.

PRODUCTION DESIGN:

What will win: The Grand Budapest Hotel

What should win: The Grand Budapest Hotel

What really should win: John Wick

...again, how is Nightcrawler not on this list??
  
 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS - Another one for Budapest

SOUND EDITING:

What will win: Interstellar

What should win: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

What really should win: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Obviously, I'm good with #OneLastOscar for Jackson's Middle Earth.

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS -Interstellar will win, I know because of the ringing in my ear....


SOUND MIXING:

What will win: Interstellar

What should win: American Sniper

What really should win: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

I thought it was great. So sue me.

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS -American Sniper should win, excellent sound mixing if you ask me but Birdman's beats are still in my head.  

VISUAL EFFECTS:

What will win: Interstellar

What should win: X-Men: Days of Future Past

What really should win: X-Men: Days of Future Past

Time in a Bottle. That is all.

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS - Guardians of the Galaxy deserves this to be honest, it's effects are just fantastic!


WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY):

What will win: The Theory of Everything

What should win: The Imitation Game

What really should win: Guardians of the Galaxy

In for a dime, in for a dollar, right?

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS - Theory or Imitation would be great choices.


WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY):

What will win: Birdman

What should win: Birdman

What really should win: Birdman/Grand Budapest Hotel

...but this is another "Anything but Boyhood!" category for me!

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS - Keeping my Birdman love going


So, there you have it. Discussion is, of course, welcome.

Hope everyone enjoys the Oscars!

Until next time...



Repent, Academy, for thou hast screwed the pooch on this one!

 DANIEL'S THOUGHTS - I really need to see Calvary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...